Christmas Night Lasagna
Posted by Sunny O'Malley on
- 3 pounds ground beef
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 2 jars (28 ounces each) meatless spaghetti sauce
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed tomato soup, undiluted
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, undrained
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1-1/2 teaspoons pepper, divided
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2-1/2 cups (20 ounces) 4% small-curd cottage cheese
- 1 carton (15 ounces) ricotta cheese
- 2 cups shredded Parmesan cheese
- 24 lasagna noodles, cooked and drained
- 12 slices part-skim mozzarella cheese
- In a Dutch oven or several large skillets, cook the beef, sausage, onion and green pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the spaghetti sauce, soup, mushrooms, Worcestershire sauce, Italian seasoning, 1 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon pepper and garlic powder. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the eggs, cottage cheese, ricotta and remaining salt and pepper.
- Spread 2 cups meat sauce each into two greased 13x9-in. baking dishes. Layer each with 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese, four noodles, 1-1/4 cups cottage cheese mixture and three slices of mozzarella cheese. Repeat layers. Top with the remaining noodles, meat sauce and Parmesan.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 45 minutes or until bubbly. Let stand for 15 minutes before cutting.